Thursday, May 1, 2014

Final Reflection



     When I first started the course, Internet Library, I felt the tasks being assigned were so daunting.  As I was getting used to working with different internet programs or applications, things started to become routine and were not as difficult.  I decided to experiment with my classes since many of the applications were just right for the assignments that I was giving them.  I felt they would I would have a highter percentage completing their assignments, and they would have fun doing them.


     Every six week marking period, I give my students a book assignment.  They need to read at least one book on their own and look for the Literary Devices and Literary Elements of the book.  I found that with Lino they were more creative with their projects and were not as boring to read. The following six weeks, I decided to add to their creativity by asking the students to add a book trailer to their
Lino assignment.  I had just learned how to create an Animoto, so I explained it to the students and they were able to create their trailer and add it on a sticky to Lino.  Some of the students saved their Animoto unto YouTube, so they were able to embed it into the Lino.  I felt that if I had fund making creations with these two programs, they would also find joy and be more motivated to read their books so that they could use Lino and Animoto.

     The assignment that gave me the most problems was the one on Screencasts.  For several of the programs that I used, I had to have certain programs running in the background.  Since that is my weakest pont in computer literacy,  I had to figure out what I needed downloaded and
how to give permission for my computer to accept it.  My favorite screencast program was Screencast o Matic.  I did not have to do anything but label the area that I wanted to be recorded and and start explaining.  It was simple and extremely resourceful.  I had less questions asked from students by having them look at the screencast first and then have them tryout the assignment.

     I also found creating QR Codes very useful.  QR Codes can get you directly to the web page you want by using your tablet or phone.   Since our school is very fortunate to have a class set of I Pads, I am able to use QR Codes to send my students directly to the website I want.  Normally,
even if I had the URL adress typed out or said it aloud to them, I still had a few that had difficulty finding the page.  I find that with QR codes there is no time wasted.  The program that I liked most for QR codes was I-nigma.  This program had no problem reading QR codes, and it goes directly to the webpage.  It made working with computers in the classroom less of a hassle.

     I think that I had the most fun learning how to use Flliboard for the Information Curation assignment..  I like to keep up with current events and keep up with my social media apps.  Flipboard is able to combine all these things into one app and in such a colorful and creative way.  Whenever I open up the app, I find myself getting lost in the news events or reading my Tweets.  I feel that my Tweets are easier to read because it is in a different format.  I also like to see my Facebook account on Flipboard.  It almost feels as if I am looking at a magazine as I go through my news feed.  I also liked how you are able to just flip to the next page.  It emphasizes the eye catching part of Flipboard.



     The program that I  will also be using with my students is Easel.ly.  I feel that if the students are able to create an infographic using the given information, they will be able to synthesize the information a bit better, and they would have a graphic to remind them the facts that they have put together.  When I was learning how to use it, I found I enjoyed using this internet program and was able to create something colorful and useful. 

     All in all, I feel that I have learned from all the technologies that I was exposed to.  I do not feel that there was one program that I did not like or that I could not find any use for in the classroom. Since my school district is trying to implement technology in the classroom, I felt that this class allowed me the opportunity to experiment with technologies that I could use with my students and meet my schools goals.  I also feel that this course has prepared me to be up-to-date with what the kids are doing online and what I have learned will help me promote books or events when I have my own library.

No comments:

Post a Comment