Friday, April 11, 2014

Screencasts




   When teaching a computer skill or an application, I have learned the hard way that giving written instructions will not work for most students.  They will either not look at the paper and insist that I guide them every step of the way.  I have found that when I use a Screen-cast to as a supplement to a lesson, the students do not feel so lost and their questions are limited.  There are several programs you can use in the internet that allow you to create a Screen-cast, and it can be done for free or without downloading any apps.  Some programs are Screencast o Matic, Screenr, and Explain a Website.  The screen-casts that were created for this blog are of  an actual assignment given to the students.  It is due on April 14, so I am exited at what they will produce.

     The easiest screen-cast program that I used was ScreenCast o Matic.  I did not have to download anything.  It did not have any hidden plugins that I had to download or required special permissions.  I simply opened ScreenCast o Matic and started recording.  I first had to make sure that my microphone was in working order and it was.  Then I adjusted what I wanted Screen o Matic to record.  Once I recorded it, I was given an option to save.  Once I saved it, it was easy to upload to this program to this blog.  I will be using this program in the future due to its ease of use.





Jing


     Jing is a screen-cast application that must be downloaded.  The only problem is that you have to have Java.  You cannot download it in an Apple software.  The application itself was easy to use.  The controls are found at the top of your screen and it looks like a sun.  I did have some difficulty trying to get the program to highlight the screen just right.  After trying several times, I did get used to it and was able to highlight the screen from whatever corner I wanted.  To record, I just hit a button, and it recorded very easily.  I did not have any problems saving my recording.  The saved file did upload to Blogger, but it did not process properly.  In order for me to get it to work, I had to convert my file to Windows Media.  I think if I were to record something on Jing now after working with it for a while, I think it would be a quick recording since I understand how to get around the program.  I would only have to take the extra step of converting my file to the media that I need.









     I went into the Screenr page, and it said that you can just record your screen-cast without any downloads.  I tried recording, but it would only tell me that I needed to have Java in my computer.  I thought it was simply a matter of giving the app permission to use my Java, but it did not work.  I decided to download the Java app once I was prompted, even though I already had it.  Once it was done, the program was not able to read the Java in my computer.  I looked into it, and I had the right version of Java for my computer.  I tried again making sure all my permissions were granted, it did not work.  I tried using Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer and none of them work.  I decided to use another computer.  I used an HP Tablet, which is well equipped with Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, and Fire fox.  I followed the same process and none of them work.  The program did pop up a screen that said that it was risky to use Java and click on Run if I wanted to use it anyway.  I did so, but it still would not accept my Java application in either of the computers.  I tried logging into the webpage through IPad, and all I got was "sorry does not work on IPad."  Finally, I admitted defeat and decided not to pursue it any further.  I just think they should have a downloadable option with everything necessary to record a screen-cast.  I was so disappointed.


Explain a Website

     In order for me to use Explain a Website on the IPad, I had to download the app and pay $.99.  This is a meager amount, but I was not happy with what it provided.  As I was recording, I could see myself talking through the webpages, clicking here and there, and typing in information.  When I saw the final product, I saw that the recording did not follow me as I was talking.  It would stay on a page, and on some I had to type in the URL on the address line for them to show.  It took me a while and many, many recordings to figure it out.  Once I got a product completed, I saved my file.  In order for me to successfully, upload it to Blogger or to even share it, I had to create my very own YouTube channel.  Almost all screen-cast had an option for uploading to YouTube, so I was okay with it.  I am not happy with this recording since it skips some of the steps that I wanted to show the students, but I think most can understand the instructions.  What I did like about the Explain the Website is that if you are only explaining how a website works or its contents, you can draw, highlight, or emphasize a section of the page.  I think I will use it for that.  I must admit, though, I was very disappointed with this app.





     After having the opportunity to work or try to work with the above applications, I found that the easiest one to work with is Screen O Matic.  I did not have to do anything but set my screen boundaries and click on record.  The recording was easy to save and easy to upload to my blog.  I will continue using when I give my students assignments requiring technology.  Since I also use Edmodo, I can upload the assignment to my feed and students will be able to immediately have access to it.  When I do screen-cast, it is amazing how much the questioning is diminished.  I also feel it lessens the pressure students feel since most of my technology assignments are for the most part done at home, and it is great to hear, "I just followed your screen-cast and got the assignment done."  

No comments:

Post a Comment